About the Paris Agricutural Society
Mission StatementThe Paris Agricultural Society’s mission is to promote and conserve agriculture throughout the County of Brant and surrounding areas through our annual fair and provide facilities to enrich the health and education of the community as a whole.
Vision StatementOur vision is to have a solid volunteer base that provides a fiscally viable, environmentally friendly year-round event facility that will continue to engage, educate and promote agricultural awareness in the community. To view 2016 AGM Report click here.
The Paris Agricultural Society is the private owner and operator of the Paris Fairgrounds and the Paris Fair.
Some HistoryThe necessity of an Agricultural Society was recognised early in the development of Canada west, and such men as William Dickson and Hiram Capron, and other pioneers were instrumental in formulating plans for its advancement.
The records of January 21 1858, tell of a meeting of the ‘inhabitants of the East Riding” called by the Warden of the County of Brant, Daniel Anderson being held for the purpose of establishing an Electoral Division Agricultural Society for East Brant. In 1866 permanent buildings were erected on the easterly side of the Grand River on property owned by Hiram Capron, the main building known as “the Crystal Palace”. This year recorded the first two day fair.On March 10, 1909, disaster struck when the “the Crystal Palace” burned to the ground. A new building was erected on the site but soon outgrew the area and was moved to Silver Street in 1924. Horse racing began at the fair in 1925. The Special Event Building was built in 1959 and the Curling Building in 1961.The Centennial Gates (memorial gateway) were erected in 1958 to honour the pioneers of the community and all who had served the cause of Agriculture. Paris Fair was one of the first to introduce a ”Fair Queen Contest” in 1954-55. A new Grandstand was dedicated in 1968. Several buildings have been added and others modified: Horse Barn 1989- now the Poultry Building; Market Building 1990; J.H. Buck Exhibition Centre 1992; Storage and office for Custodian 1999; Horse barn at end of office 2004; Coverall for cattle shows 2004, present office 1996 renovated in 2007; Agriplex in 2007.
© 2017 Paris Agricultural Society
139 Silver Street, Paris, Ontario N3L 3E7
Tel: (519) 442-2823 Fax: (519) 442-5121